Belkyra™ is a non-surgical injectable treatment that is used to reduce the appearance of a double chin, also known as submental fat. It contains deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring substance in the body that helps to break down fat.
When Belkyra™ is injected into the submental fat, it destroys the fat cells, resulting in a noticeable reduction in the double chin appearance.
Like all medical procedures, it is important to carefully consider all risks and benefits before deciding if it is the right treatment for you. That’s why it’s essential that you consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or a qualified medical professional to determine if Belkyra™ is right for you.
Is Belkyra™ the same as Kybella®?
Belkyra™ and Kybella® are the same treatment. Belkyra™ is Health Canada and FDA approved while Kybella® is FDA approved. Both non-surgical treatments are used to reduce the appearance of a double chin and improve the profile of the neck and jawline.
The active ingredient, deoxycholic acid, is a naturally occurring molecule that helps break down and absorb dietary fat. When the medication is injected into the submental area, it destroys the fat cells and the body naturally eliminates them over time.
The Mechanism – How Does Belkyra™ Work?
During the Belkyra™ treatment, a qualified medical professional will inject the product into the submental fat using a fine needle. Once injected, deoxycholic acid breaks down the fat cells, which are then gradually eliminated from the body through the lymphatic system. Over the next several weeks, the treated fat cells shrink, resulting in a reduction in the appearance of the double chin.
Is Belkyra™ a Weight Loss Solution?
It is important to note that Belkyra™ is not a weight loss solution and is not recommended for individuals who are significantly overweight. The best candidates for Belkyra™ are those with a low to moderate amount of submental fat that is resistant to diet and exercise. The results of Belkyra™ can be long-lasting, but they may be impacted by significant weight gain or loss.
Who is the Best Candidate for Belkyra™?
Belkyra™ is most effective in individuals with low to moderate amounts of submental fat. Ideal candidates for Belkyra™ will generally be in good overall health and have realistic expectations for their treatment outcome. For long-term results with Belkyra™, it is important to adopt and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
Is Belkyra™ Painful?
Before receiving Belkyra ™, an ice pack is applied to the area for comfort during the procedure. The injections may cause mild discomfort, but it’s common to feel intense heat in the treated area afterwards.
To alleviate discomfort, an ice pack can be placed in the area for 10-15 minutes after the treatment. Clinical trials showed that patients experienced mild pain immediately after the procedure, which subsided within 15-30 minutes.
How to Prepare for a Belkyra™ Treatment?
With proper preparation, you can ensure that the procedure goes smoothly and that you achieve the best possible results. We recommend following these steps:
- Consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or a qualified medical professional. Before having a Belkyra™ treatment, schedule a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon or a qualified medical professional. During the consultation, an assessment of your overall health, skin quality and the submental fat region will be completed. They will help you determine if Belkyra™ is the best option for you or whether another treatment will help you achieve your desired results better.
- Discuss your medical history. Provide a complete medical history to your doctor, including any current medications, allergies, and previous medical procedures. This will help to determine if there are any contraindications or potential risks associated with the Belkyra™ treatment.
- Stop using certain medications. Your doctor may recommend that you stop using certain medications, such as blood thinners, several days before the treatment to reduce the risk of bleeding or bruising.
- Avoid alcohol. Avoid alcohol for 24-48 hours before the treatment to minimize the risk of bleeding and to promote optimal results.
- Arrange for transportation. Belkyra™ is typically a minimally invasive procedure that can be performed in the doctor’s office. For convenience, you may want to ask someone to drive you to and from the visit.
How is the Recovery After Belkyra™?
For most individuals, the recovery period is brief and usually occurs after the first Belkyra™ treatment session. The recovery period after Belkyra™ treatment ranges from a few days to a week. Most people can return to their normal activities, including work, within a few days of the treatment.
Side-effects tend to be less severe with subsequent sessions, but swelling and bruising are frequently experienced. (Consider your treatment schedule and plan your social events accordingly.)
Strenuous activities, including intense exercise, should be avoided for the first week after the treatment.
Here is what you can expect during the recovery period:
- Swelling and bruising. Some swelling and bruising may occur after the treatment, but this is usually mild and should resolve within a few days.
- Reduced activity level. You may feel some discomfort and tenderness in the treatment area. Reduce physical activity for the first 24-48 hours after the treatment.
- Return to normal activities. Most people can return to their normal activities, including work, within a few days of the treatment. However, avoid intense activity for the first week after the treatment.
- Wear a compression bandage or garment. Your doctor may recommend that you wear a compression garment in the treatment area for the first few days post-treatment to reduce swelling and promote healing.
- Follow-up appointment. Your doctor will schedule a follow-up appointment with you to assess your progress and ensure that the treatment has been successful.
It is important to follow all post-treatment instructions provided by your doctor to ensure a smooth and successful recovery. If you experience any significant pain, swelling, or discomfort, contact your doctor for further guidance.
What are the Results of a Belkyra™ Treatment Plan?
After Belkyra™ treatment, you can expect to see results within 4-6 weeks as the body reacts with the medication to eliminate the excess fat cells. Although there may be some minor bruising at the injection site, the body should generally have a positive response to the treatment.
A healthy lifestyle which includes a balanced, nutritious diet and regular exercise is important in maintaining long-term results and decreasing the potential for fat to accumulate in adjacent areas.
Side Effects of Belkyra™
Temporary swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, hardness, tingling, or itchiness in the treatment area may be experienced and may last for approximately a week.
Alternatives to Belkyra™
There are several alternatives to Belkyra ™ for treating submental fat:
- Liposuction: This is a surgical procedure that involves removing fat through suction.
- Neck lift: This is a surgical procedure that tightens the skin and muscles of the neck to create a more defined jawline.
- CoolSculpting: This non-invasive treatment uses controlled cooling to freeze and destroy fat cells.
- Fat injections: This surgical procedure involves removing fat from one area of the body and injecting it into another area to improve contours and create a more defined jawline.
- Laser therapy: This is a non-invasive treatment that uses laser energy to melt and dissolve fat cells.
- Ul therapy: This is a non-invasive treatment that uses ultrasound energy to tighten the skin and muscles of the neck.
The best alternative for you depends on your specific needs and goals, as well as your overall health and medical history. Your consultation with a plastic surgeon will be instrumental in determining the best treatment for you.
Should You Choose Kybella® or Belkyra?™
The decision to have Belkyra ™ or any other aesthetic procedure is personal one. It will depend on your cosmetic goals. Your comprehensive consultation with a qualified medical doctor will help you determine whether this treatment is right for you and takes into consideration your medical health.
Approximately 80% of individuals who had Belkyra ™ treatment expressed satisfaction with the appearance of their face and chin areas. Patients reported a boost in self-esteem and a youthful appearance, as a result of the improvement in their chin profile.
In our experience, you can’t put a price tag on self-confidence!
For more information book a consultation at any of our Cosmetic Clinics in Ontario
You may also call us at +1-866-333-3305 and book your appointment
- How to Get Rid of Wrinkles Under Your Eyes?
- CoolSculpting vs Liposuction: What is The Better Choice?
- How Much Does a Chemical Peel Cost? Your A-Z Guide
- IPL vs. Laser: What is Better for Hair Removal?
- Your A-Z Guide on Breast Lift Prices in Canada
- How Much does a Facelift Cost in Canada?
Check out our bestselling Medical Grade Skincare Products